Name of Your Year: “Everything Changes”
1. What did you do this year that you’ve never done before?
- Composed, played, mixed, and mastered my own song.
- Got in to the UST Conservatory of Music.
- Bleached my entire head nearly-white blonde.
- Learned to sight read and identify notes by ear.
- Created a quarterly and annual estimated marketing budget.
- Launched a solo EP.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
– I made a “17 for 2017” bucket list at the beginning of 2017, but only managed to knock nine items off of it. I’m not sure I’ll be making more bucket lists next year…probably just plans.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth this year?
– No one that I can recall.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
– My fifth grandaunt died, but I wasn’t particularly close to her.
5. What countries did you visit this year?
– Japan. I didn’t get a lot of time to travel this year. So many things happened.
6. What would you like to have in the next year that you lacked this year?
– Determination, Inner Strength, Emotional Stability.
7. What date(s) from this year will remain etched upon your memory – and why?
The benefit of having kept a BuJo the entire year means I have the dates.
- January 7 – finalized L O V E B L I N D with Marvs.
- February 1-14 – FebFourteen poetry challenge
- March 4 – EP Recording
- April 11 – Psych diagnosis (Dysthymia, mild anxiety)
- April 22 – Last big ST gig: NOTARewind
- May 12 – Project Voice, live in the PH
- May 20 – Filmed MV for LOVEBLIND
- May 25 – Became a PV contributor
- June 4 – Wonder Woman
- June 16 – Moral Victory; the last ST gig (though we didn’t know it yet, then)
- June 23 – Filed my resignation from Virus
- June 30 – Found out I passed the USTET and officially got into the Conservatory of Music
- July 31 – Last day at Virus
- August 12 – First day at UST; got bitten by a cat so I promptly had to start getting rabies shots
- September 15-17 – That first big payday sale that turned the department around
- September 23 – EP Launch
- October 30 – Harry Potter World
- December 16 – First ever UST finals/UST Batch Christmas Party
- December 22 – Went blonde
8. What was/were your biggest achievement(s) of the year?
- Launched EP.
- Hit sales targets at work.
- Passed Solfeggio 1.
- Survived first semester at the UST Conservatory of Music.
9. What was your biggest failure of the year?
– This was the year that I think I was the most selfish and closed-off. I walled myself in a bit, dealing with some losses. I hope that next year, I can learn to go outside of myself more and not be afraid to experience pain in pursuit of my dreams.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration (a public or private personality)?
- My mum, for putting up with me.
- My small group, for putting up with me.
- My friends Kristin and John, for putting up with me.
- Dean Carayag, for putting up with me.
- My workmates, old and new, for putting up with me.
- My USTCM BACHmates, for putting up with me.
I guess everyone who put up with me this year. As I said, it was a very selfish year.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
– The President.
– Myself. :))
Those are the people I can mention. There are a few more, but I’d rather keep those to myself.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about this year?
- USTCM Auditions
- Moving job
- Firsts: A Demo
16. What song(s) will always remind you of this year?
- 2! 3! By BTS
- Sea by BTS
- L O V E B L I N D, because it was my EP’s carrier single.
- “Golden,” because it started me songwriting again.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
- happier or sadder – sadder, but stronger.
- richer or poorer – poorer? I spent too much this year.
- thinner or fatter – fatter, most likely.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
– Trusting. God, myself, the process, etc.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
– Doubting that this was the path I was meant to be on. And probably also hanging on to things that were long dead?
20. How did you spend the holidays?
– Bleaching my hair. Cramming Christmas gifts. NOT practicing piano like I should have. Eating. Hanging out with my cousins on both sides of my family.
21. Did you fall in love this year?
– With seven boys. All at the same time. Or, okay, one first and then the six others after. (I’m talking about Bangtan if you haven’t figured that out.)
22. What were your favorite TV programs for the year?
– I didn’t actually watch a lot of TV this year, but I binged VLive like there was no tomorrow.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
– I think every year that passes, I hate fewer and fewer people. That’s probably a good thing.
24. What was the best book you read this year?
– I DID NOT READ A LOT OF BOOKS THIS YEAR…unless you count Dannhauser. :))
25. What was your favorite film of the year?
– Wonder Woman. Hands down.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
– BANGTAN SONYEONDAN, closely followed by WINNER.
27. What did you want and get?
– To get into the UST Conservatory of Music and to get a new job.
28. What did you want and not get?
– A music career/more gigs? I need to learn how to market myself as a musician all over again.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
– I turned twenty-four. It didn’t feel that old yet, but it feels old now. I don’t actually remember what I did; March was pretty busy at Virus, I suspect.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
– Honestly? Nothing. While it was a hard year, I’m content about how it ended and where I ended up going because of it.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept this year?
– Started as a KPop girl idol, ended as a KPop boy idol.
32. What political issue stirred you the most?
– This was the year I was extremely self-centered (I’m sorry), so I didn’t pay as much attention to politics as I did last year, though as a social issue, Weinstein-gate and the exposure of mainstream rape culture was a big deal for me.
33. Whom did you miss this year?
– I both missed and had way too much time with myself.
34. Who were the people you were grateful to have met/gotten to know this year? (Formerly “Who was the best new person(s) you met this year?”)
- My USTCM BACHmates.
- My solfeggio professor.
- My Applied Majors professor.
- My Ellana Marketing Teammates.
- I think this is the year I really “got to know” my friend Kristin, so I’m glad for that.
35. What kept you sane?
– God. Family. Friends. KPop.
36. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
– Kim Seokjin, closely followed by Min Yoongi, closely followed by Kim Namjoon, then entirely wrecked by Jung Hoseok.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson(s) you learned for this year.
– Remember what you were made for, and never let go of the fact that you were made for it.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
“I know, I know, my hardship right now
I know, I know, I’ll overcome
I know, I know, open me up
It’s the place I can rely on
Think positive…Even if I’m nervous, even if I’m in a desert
I’m in the beautiful…desert.”
– Sea (J-Hope’s Pre-Chorus), BTS