1. What did you do this year that you’ve never done before?
- Learned to play the guitar.
- Traveled alone and lived in a foreign country, on my own, for two months.
- Watched my first ever show on Broadway (Chicago, with long-time idol Adam Pascal).
- Got an actual, paying, 9-to-6 job!
- Co-directed an actual theatre production (versus a class production).
- Recorded a song, in an actual recording studio, for an album.
- Got nodes, something I hope never happens again, though the voice therapy that came after was amazing. :))
- Actually did not speak for over one week.
– I don’t make new year’s resolutions. Plans and faith goals, though…I really need to work on those.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth this year?
– None to my knowledge.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
– My dog, Smokey, who passed away in November, at the age of eleven.
5. What countries did you visit this year?
– Brazil, The United States
6. What would you like to have in the next year that you lacked this year?
– Self-Confidence, Courage, Spiritual Maturity, Peace
7. What date(s) from this year will remain etched upon your memory – and why?
- January 4 – First guitar lesson.
- March 25 – I stepped on the plane to Brazil, all on my lonesome.
- May 20 – First Broadway show.
- August 22 – Interviewed with Virus, Inc.
- November 4 – First day as part of the working world!
- November 7 – First pitch as part of the working world.
- November 23 – When Smokey passed away.
- November 30 – Recorded for “Christmas Is.”
- December 11-13 – Beheld showdates.
- December 30 – Dad hospitalized for stroke.
…Is it just me, or did a whole lot happen in November and December?
- Surviving two months living on my own
- Passing E&I
- First pitch for Virus, Inc.
- Directing Beheld
- Recording on “Christmas Is” for Reverb.
9. What was your biggest failure of the year?
– Failing to complete my NaNoWriMo Novel (though I did make 50,000 words)
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
– Vocal nodules.
11. What was the best thing you bought this year?
– I think that, despite all the unnecessary spending I did this year, it was the year I realized that buying stuff wasn’t as important as making memories. My phone camera and Ed both saw lots of work this year.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration (a public or private personality)?
– The cast, crew, and production team for Beheld, for putting up with my nonsense.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
…Far too many members of our national government and the media, to be honest. It wasn’t a good year for politics, or for national journalism.
14. Where did most of your money go this year?
– Food, clothes, music.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about this year?
– Brazil, Virus, Beheld, and Christmas Is. 🙂
16. What song(s) will always remind you of this year?
- Brave – Sara Bareilles
- Anything by Ed Sheeran, who I fell in love with this year.
- Clarity – Zedd feat. Foxes
- We Can’t Stop/Wrecking Ball – Miley Cyrus (against my will, I assure you)
- Treasure – Bruno Mars (AIESEC-UA&P Roll Call)
- Ho Hey! – The Lumineers
- Treacherous – Taylor Swift (first song learned on guitar)
- Little Talks – Of Monsters and Men (trademark guitar song from March – May 2013)
- Latch – Disclosure
- Wake Me Up – Avicii feat. Aloe Blacc
- Joyful Joyful – (A) Paper City (band name not yet final)
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
- happier or sadder – more confused, to be honest.
- richer or poorer – I guess since I have a job now…slightly richer?
- thinner or fatter – probably largely the same, emphasis on largely
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Doubting myself, indulging in bouts of self-loathing, and lashing out in fits of temper.
20. How will you/did you spend the holidays?
– Lots of curling my hair. Freaking out over Dad.
21. Did you fall in love this year?
– Out of it, I guess. Or, rather, I decided that there were some people best let go of.
22. What were your favorite TV programs for the year?
Ironically though I have never watched a full episode, Doctor Who defined the latter portion of 2013.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
– I’m actually sort of confused about how I feel for a good number of individuals.
24. What was the best book you read this year?
NEW: Toss-up between Winning The Story Wars by Jonah Sachs and Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell. I did not actually read as much this year, and I should probably rectify that situation in 2014. This would, however, entail making more time to read.
25. What was your favorite film of the year?
– Frozen. HANDS DOWN.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
– Of Monsters and Men. Also, re-discovered Panic! At The Disco and Fall Out Boy.
27. What did you want and get?
- Eleanor and Park // Fangirl – Rainbow Rowell (Thank you so much to Rashmi Daswani and Chryzel Ramos for allowing me to discover Rainbow Rowell)
- Six-inch heels, thanks to my mum
- The opportunity to sing on an actual album, something I’ve wanted to do since I was twelve.
- To travel somewhere, on my own, and find myself in the process. Muito obrigada, AIESEC Maringá!
- To work at Virus, Inc.
- To direct a play.
28. What did you want and not get?
- To win our Burberry pitch in BusComm.
- To go to Italy for AIESEC…but then I went to Brazil instead, and it was awesome.
- Lost In Thought’s demo CD.
- To learn how to drive. (I crashed instead.)
- To gig in public for the first time…but then there’s always next year, right?
- To figure out where I’m headed. But I think I have a clearer(?) idea this year than last.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Turned twenty. Don’t actually remember, I was so busy.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
To be honest? Fewer things on my plate. I think I took on too much responsibility in 2013. In 2014, I definitely NEED to slow down before health becomes an issue.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept this year?
Moving towards corporate-slash-discovering a personal uniform. Statement pieces included button-downs, heels, and one well-worn, navy-blue Muji knit coat.
32. What political issue stirred you the most?
The PDAF scandal, especially in light of Yolanda relief.
The girl memorialized in the poem “Sophia.”
34. Who were the people you were grateful to have met/gotten to know this year? (Formerly “Who was the best new person(s) you met this year?”)
- My AIESEC Maringá family, including my lovely hosts. The lot of you are too many to mention, but I will always be grateful for you.
- My Brazilian family: Matthias Hillebrand, Ciarán Head, and Klára Němečková.
- My mentor, Ms. May De Jesus-Palacpac
- My AIESEC-UA&P family, especially TEAM SOCIAL MEDIA: Boss Tom Acuesta, Gavin Suarez, Mica Gonzalez, Andrea Orleans. Also, special inspiration mention to Miguel Amante, Lerizze Dizon, and Kyra Tobias!
- It was also majorly awesome to meet Marisol Habon, with whom I shared a bed in NLDC.
- The rag-tag, make it happen band of Reverbians behind “Christmas Is” and “UNITED”: Jian Manjares, Deb De Perio, Brigitte Bennett, Dan Buenafe, Kyle Celestra, Em Paterno, Aned Samson, Fer Bascon, Imman Senseng, Jedd Manjares, Martti Uy, Justin Virginio, Jedd Manjares, Julian Manjares, and Judd Santos. (Technically I met some of you last year, but this year was when I got to know you lot.)
- My Beheld babies, Carlos Victa (who, I think, actually called me “Mum” in his NYE greeting) and Pat Cabatay, and to my partner in crime, the still vaguely terrifying Alfonso Tinio.
- The brand new people I met on the amazing Beheld support team: Red Hernandez, Biel Bati, Yela Lagunzad. And to the girl who supported my “show up to rehearsal/final show as River Song” habit, Charelle Sy (pleased to re-connect with you!) (Angelo Racelis, you too!)
- Kitin and Celine Miranda, Belay Montes, and the rest of the amazing Chiaroscuro Core Team! (Technically I’ve known you since forever, Jek San Juan, but you qualify anyway.)
- Every lovely person I’ve gotten to know in Virus, Inc., but special mention to the people who have now become my “work barkada”: Arra Abella, Nike Amistoso, Roch De Mesa, Jovel Lopez, Helen Oli, and our undisputed ruler, (HRH) Rashmi Daswani.
35. What kept you sane?
– God. Small group. Music. Sleep when I could get it.
36. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
THE MOST?! You’d make me choose? I have a comprehensive LIST!
- Tom Hiddleston
- Ed Sheeran
- Daniel Vincent Gordh
- Brent Bailey
- Aaron Tveit
- Matt Smith
- Benedict Cumberbatch (those cheekbones…)
Be brave. Trust the process. Just do. Live in the in-between. Keep a quiet heart.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year: